Thursday, June 23, 2005

Job

Howdy all!

Here is the much anticipated update on the job situation. Over the past few weeks, I had steadily written off Nielsen Media Research as an option for employment. Despite telling me repeatedly that I would be informed of their decision either way, I have not gotten a response to my most recent attempts to contact them. I have now moved on and began pursuing other options.

Just a week ago, I had an interview with the post office in Oregon City. I was one of six who interviewed for reportedly five open positions as rural carrier associates. This means that I am basically a sub for the full time rural carriers. As a policy, they only guarantee one day of work every two weeks. From the sound of things, they really need the help, so the potential for two to four days of work per week does exist. I'll have to be chosen, trained and put to work before I know for certain how that will play out. There are no benefits offered and I get to use my own car. Once I work for them for a year, then I am eligible for full time rural carrier work pending seniority and if a position had opened up or not. The quickest that has happened at this post office is about 3 1/2 years. So, it'll definitely take some commitment on my part. Only time will tell....

Meanwhile, I have pretty much nailed down a part time job to keep me busy in the mean time. It is as a delivery person for a company called Clowns Unlimited ( www.clownsunlimited.com ). For now, I'll be delivering inflatable bouncers, slides, obstacle courses, etc... for picnics, birthday parties, and other events. The Portland office is just over a year old and growing rapidly, so there is potential for full time employment there someday, perhaps in 6 months or so. I am going in to work for them on Friday and Saturday just to see how I like the work and then settle into it a bit more permanently. I'll have to keep you posted on those adventures.

The real trick will be to see how well I can balance both jobs, assuming I get the postal gig. There is a good chance that both will require weekends, but the post office pays more. Thus, if I have to choose between one or the other, the post office is definitely going to be the way to go. We shall see.

No comments: